Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Child of God

I read a talk by President Eyring called, "A Child of God." The main purpose of his talk is to advise latter-day saint college students about becoming great learners. First Eyring talks about pursuing excellence without becoming prideful. He makes a powerful point that by seeking humility through remembering Heavenly Father in our daily lives, we will also find the power to "learn both what we need to know for living in this world and in the life to come."
Eyring then gives five habits of good learners: welcoming correction, keeping commitments, working hard, helping other people, and expecting and overcoming resistance. While talking about the third habit, working hard, Eyring says something that really strikes me:
"What we do here determines the rest of our condition for eternity."
When I read that, I realized I could be doing so much more with my life. I have been given many opportunities to learn and grow, especially at BYU.
Overall, President Eyring's talk was uplifting and encourages me to be a better student, as well as a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment