Saturday, October 23, 2010

Issue Paper Topic

I know this is really late, but I keep forgetting I have a blog!

For my paper I want to write about evolutionary psychology. It is an emerging field of psychology based on the idea that human behavior can be explained by evolution. People who behaved certain ways were more likely to survive and pass on their behavior traits to their children. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this issue, such as the debate as to whether or not evolutionary psychology can really be considered a science since there is no way to go back to prehistory and prove how people actually behaved. Another is that evolutionary psychology explains gender roles as being a result of evolution and it is therefore in our nature to fill those roles, instead of us conforming to society. It is a very interesting issue, but I'm not sure exactly how I should explore it in my paper...
Any ideas?

(For the record, I personally lean more toward the "nurture" explanation of human behavior. But I do find it interesting how people try to prove that "nature" is the only factor in determining behavior.)

No comments:

Post a Comment