Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Whose decision is it?

One important aspect of decision making is determining who the decision maker is and acting accordingly. If the decision is yours to make, you can accept advice from other people, but you should keep in mind that the decision is still yours to make. You can’t always please everyone with a decision you make, so you must simply say, “Thank you for your input, I will go make my decision now.”

Most of my life I have made decisions to please my parents. Sometimes this has resulted in me being unhappy with the consequences. I decided that in the future I would keep in mind that if the decision is ultimately mine, I wont make a decision simply to please my parents. I used this in a small decision last week when I had to choose between getting my homework done right away or going to hang out with friends. My mom strongly encouraged me to hang out with my friends since I had not seen them in a long time. I thanked her for her advice, and then instead of leaving right then to see my friends, I called one of them and scheduled another time to get together and I was able to finish my homework. I am glad that I remembered that the decision was mine to make because it led me to make a better decision that benefitted everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment