Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mourn the Losses

Today in my Freshman Honors experience class we talked about mourning losses when we make decisions. When we make a decision, it closes a door on an alternate decision. We must properly mourn the loss of the alternate situation to be completely at ease with the situation we affirmed.

I joined the Air National Guard about 3 months ago. Recently I have been feeling uneasy about my decision, and I wasn’t really sure why. I decided to take a moment to go over everything I would be missing because of my decision: I would be behind in school, I would be away from friends an family for a couple years, and I wouldn’t have much time to relax for a while, to name a few. I thought about these things for a while and let myself feel sad. Then I thought about all the reasons I did join: My tuition would be paid for, I would have a secure job, I would be able to do what I love as a linguist in the military, the military environment would help me learn good habits and help me to be more focused and motivated, and I would have the satisfaction of knowing that I would be doing something important. After this process I felt much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment